Camiguin Island Travel Guide
Delve into the pear-shaped island of Camiguin in Northern Mindanao. This dazzling island is an old favorite of tourists due to its sun-kissed azure waters lapping around its coastline. So pack your swimwear, snorkeling gears and sunscreen then rush to Camiguin Island to discover its many treasures!
How to Get to Camiguin Island
Nearest airport to Camiguin is located in Cagayan de Oro City (CDO) or Butuan. Cebu Pacific have flights to CDO and Butuan from Manila, Davao and Cebu.
- From Cagayan de Oro City (CDO) to Camiguin Island
Ride a multi-cab or taxi to Agora Market Terminal.
Go inside the market and head to the terminal. Look for a bus bound to Balingoan Port/Bus Terminal (Misamis Oriental). Prepare about Php 70 (ordinary bus) or Php 140 (air-conditioned bus) for the fare. I suggest taking the latter as the road going to Balingoan is dusty and bumpy. Travel time is about 2.5 -3 hours.
From Balingoan Bus Terminal, you can walk to BalingoanPort. Regular ferry fare is Php 170, s student ferry fare is Php 145, for senior citizen – ferry fare is Php 135 and for children/ half –fare, it is Php 85. Pay also the terminal fee of Php 2.25. Travel time about 2 hours to BenoniPort in Camiguin.
From BenoniPort, there are vans and multi-cabs to Mambajao Proper. I took the van to Mambajao, fare is Php 100 – travel time is about 1 hour.
- Butuan (Agusan del Norte) to Camiguin:
There are daily flights to Butuan from Manila via Cebu Pacific airlines.
From ButuanAirport, you can walk to the parking lot and ride a multi-ca with an R4 sign. This will take you to the city’s commercial center and will stop at the Butuan City Integrated Bus Terminal in Brgy. Langihan. Travel time is 20 minutes, fare is Php 20.
At Butuan Bus Terminal, there are several buses bound to Cagayan de Oro (CDO).
Get off at the Balingoan Bus Terminal (or tell the conductor you’re bound to Camiguin).
Follow step 3-4 of CDO to Cagayan.
Camiguin ferry schedule:
Daily ferry from BalingoanPort (Misamis Oriental) leaves hourly from 5:30 AM up to 4:30 PM to BenoniPort (Camiguin). Daily ferry from BenoniPort to Balingoan leaves hourly from 4:30 AM to 6:00 PM
- From Bohol to Camiguin by Ferry
You have 2 options to get to Bohol from Camiguin /Camiguin to Bohol
- Take the Shuttle Ferry from Jagna (Bohol) to Balbagon Pier (Camiguin), trip is at 1:00 PM daily. Travel time if 2 hours, ferry fare is Php 500.
- Take Paras Sea Cat Fast Ferry from Jagna (Bohol) Bohol to Benoni Port (Camiguin) that runs daily (except Thursday) at 1:30 PM. Travel time is roughly 2 hours, fare is Php 500.
- Getting Around and Touring Camiguin:
Commuting around Camiguin is possible, however if you are pressed for time, it is best to charter a motorcycle (habal-habal) for a day tour if you are alone or hire a multi-cab if you are in groups since the transportation in Camiguin has erratic schedule. Multi-cabs, jeep and motorela only leaves the terminal once full.
- Motorcycle/Motorbike/ Habal-habal Tour Rates per Day (fixed rates):
Habal-habal/motorcycle tour (with driver/guide/photographer) = P800 per day
Habal-habal/motorcycle (without the driver) = Php 500 per day
Habal-habal/ motorcycle (without the driver for 3-7 days) = Php 400 per day
For more than 7 days, Habal-habal/motorcycle rate is negotiable.
- Multi-cab rental per day (with driver, good for 10 people) = Php 1,200 – Php 1,500
- Alternatively you make avail of the Camiguin Island Tour Package 2013 from CDO or from your hotel.
- Estimated Camiguin Travel Expenses
Bus – Php 70 (ordinary bus /one-way)
Ferry – Php 170 + Php 2.25 (terminal fee)
Budget Hotel –Php 350 (per night)
WhiteIsland Boat – Php 450 (per boat/good for 4 pax)
Motorbike – Php 800 (one day tour)
- Related Post:
Viewed 91035 times by 22825 viewers