Lobo Batangas has long been a magnet of beach-goers as it is studded with beaches with seafloor gradually dropping for about 200 meters before a drop-off. The sea here is oozing with corals and marine life especially in Brgy. Sawang, making it a perfect spot for snorkeling and diving, However, this Lobo Batangas Travel Guide blog will mostly cover the village of Malabrigo known for its age-old lighthouse and azure beaches.
If you are wondering where is Lobo Batangas, this 3rdclass town is blissfully situated near the southern tip of Batangas province on the other side of Verde Island Passage, which is known as the world’s center of marine biodiversity. It is a charming town perfect for weekenders, only about 3 hours away from Manila.
Aside from its beaches, another reason to travel to Lobo, Batangas is the Faro de Punta de Malabrigo (Malabrigo Lighthouse). This imposing white, lonely sentinel is proudly standing on the peak of a hill overlooking Mindoro Island and Verde Island passage.
Here’s a quick Lobo Batangas Travel Guide blog to help you plan your trip.
TRAVEL BLOG CONTENTS
WHEN IS THE BEST TIME TO VISIT LOBO, BATANGAS
The best time to visit Lobo Batangas is around December – June during the dry season so you can enjoy its beaches without having to worry much about an incoming rain or storm. But if you want to avoid the crowd, the summer season (April – May) is usually crowded, especially during weekends and holidays. See graph above. But of course, always check the weather updates before proceeding.
POWER PLUG: Like the rest of the Philippines, electrical socket is Type A. 220 V, 60 HZ. See illustration.
MODE OF PAYMENT:Stack up cash (Philippine peso) as everything here is on cash basis.
ATM: There are ATM scattered in Lobo, Batangas like Metrobank, Rural Bank of Lobo, Metrobank, Card SME Bank, RCBC, etc. So if you need to withdraw money, you won’t have a problem.
SAFETY: Lobo, Batangas is pretty safe for tourists.
HOW TO GET TO LOBO BATANGAS FROM MANILA/ALABANG/BATANGAS
1. To get to Lobo Batangas from Manila, take a bus bound for Batangas Grand Terminal in Buendia. If you are coming from Alabang, you can ride the Alps bus in Starmall/Metropolis, other buses can be found in Alabang South Station. Alternatively, there are also several buses to Batangas Grand Terminal in Cubao. Preferably ride the bus with CALABARZON signboard for shorter transit as this will not pass by the towns of Tanuan,Lipa, etc. Fare is about PHP 157 (USD 3/EURO 2.54/SGD 4/MYR 13) if coming from Manila, if coming from Alabang, fare is PHP 127 (USD 3/EURO 2.05/SGD 3/MYR 11) and if coming from Cubao, fare is PHP 165 (USD 3.20/EURO 2.67/SGD 4.26/MYR 12.60). Travel time is roughly 3 hours depending on traffic.
2. At Batangas Grand Terminal, ride the jeepney en route to Bayan. Tell the driver you are getting off at Don Ramos. Fare is about PHP 10/USD 0.19/SGD 0.26/ MYR 0.76.
3. Walk for a few minutes and cross to Don Ramos. Ride a Capitolio-bound jeepney that will pass by SM Batangas. Tell the driver to drop you off the jeepney terminal going to Lobo Batangas. The terminal is beside SM Batangas, behind the brick church. Fare is roughly PHP 8 (USD 0.15/SGD 0.21/MYR 0.61).
4. Ride the jeepney to Lobo Batangas town proper. Fare is about PHP 55/USD 1/ EURO 0.89/ SGD 1.42/ MYR 4 way.
HOW TO GO TO MALABRIGO LIGHTHOUSE AND BEACH FROM MANILA/ALABANG/CUBAO
Follow Step 1- 4 above.
5. Tell the driver you are going to Malabrigo so he can drop you off at the tricycle terminal to Malabrigo. Ride a tricycle to the resort of your choice. Fare is usually PHP 150 (USD 2.91/SGD 150/MYR 11.45) one way (good for 4 persons) for resorts located in Malabrigo. If you are staying overnight or doing a day tour in Punta Verde Resort, contact the resort as they have a little jeepney that can fetch you for PHP 150 (USD 2.91/SGD 150/MYR 11.45) per head.
IMPORTANT:Last trip of jeepney from Lobo town to Batangas proper is at 5:00 PM. Last trip of bus from Batangas Grand Terminal to Manila is at 9:00 PM.
LOBO, BATANGAS TOURIST SPOTS
There’s a handful of tourists spots in Lobo Batangas but I only got to recently visit the ones in Malabrigo. Hopefully, I’ll get to explore more on my next visit in Lobo Batangas soon. But for now, here are some tourist attractions in Lobo. You can explore them in 1 day if you leave Manila early.
By the way, the town collects a PHP 20/USD 0.39/EURO 0.32/SGD 0.52/MYR 2 environmental fee. You can pay at the Lobo Tourism Office or at the Malabrigo Mini Park/View Deck.
1. MALABRIGO LIGHTHOUSE
Crowning Malabrigo is this white lighthouse designed by a Spanish engineer Guillermo Brockman sometime in 1891. Malabrigo Lighthouse is one of the 24 Spanish-era lighthouses. Today, it attracts both locals and tourists alike because of its beautiful architecture.
2. MALABRIGO BEACH
This beach in Lobo Batangas is unique because instead of sand, it is peppered with pebbles. The water is crystal clear and azure, looks quite ordinary at first sight, but it’s pretty stunning when viewed from above or if you fly your drone. Wear aqua shoes to protect your feet if you plan swimming.
3. MALABRIGO VIEWING DECK/MINI PARK
There’s a mini park on the road to Malabrigo Lighthouse in Lobo Batangas is overlooking the palm-fringed, blue sea.
- There are other tourist attractions in Lobo, Batangas. Will make a separate Lobo, Batangas Travel Guide soon.
WHERE TO STAY IN LOBO, BATANGAS
Many of the finest beach resorts in Lobo Batangas are concentrated in Malabrigo. I’ve yet to stay overnight in Lobo Batangas but here are some of the popular beach resorts :
PUNTA MALABRIGO BEACH RESORT
Address: 313, Lobo, Batangas
PUNTA VERDE DIVE RESORT
Address: Lobo-Malabrigo-Laiya Rd, Lobo, Batangas
FIND MORE RESORTS HERE: BATANGAS RESORTS
LOBO, BATANGAS ITINERARY + EXPENSES
Here’s a sample day tour itinerary to Malabrigo in Lobo Batangas. Feel free to modify this depending on your budget and travel schedule.
DAY 1 – Malabrigo Beach + Malabrigo Lighthouse
06:00 AM Take bus to Batangas Grand Termina. Fare: PHP 157 (USD 3/ EURO 2.05/SGD 4/MYR 13)
08:00 AM ETA Batangas Grand Terminal,
08:15 AM Ride jeepney to Don Ramos. Fare: PHP 10/USD 0.19/EURO 0.16/SGD 0.26/MYR 0.76
08:30 AM Alight at Don Ramos. Transfer to jeepney that will pass by SM Batangas. Fare: PHP 8 (USD 0.15/SGD 0.21/MYR 0.61)
08:45 AM Alight at Lobo jeepney terminal. Take a jeepney to Lobo. Fare: PHP 55/USD 1/ EURO 0.89/ SGD 1.42/ MYR
4:45 AM Get off at Lobo Batangas town proper. Walk towards the tricycle terminal to Malabrigo.
10:00 AM Ride tricycle to Malabrigo Lighthouse. Fare: PHP 150 (USD 2.91/SGD 150/MYR 11.45)
10:30 AM ETA Malabrigo Lighthouse, photo op.
11:00 AM Take the stairs to Malabrigo Beach photo op.
11:20 AM Ride the tricycle to your resort for the day tour or overnight stay.
11: 30 AM Lunch
12:00 PM Rest or swimming
03:00 PM ETD Malabrigo Beach. Take tricycle back to Lobo Batangas town proper. Fare: PHP 150 (USD 2.91/SGD 150/MYR 11.45)
04:00 PM At Lobo, ride jeepney back to Batangas proper. Fare:PHP 55/USD 1/ EURO 0.89/ SGD 1.42/ MYR 4
05:00 PM At Batangas city. Take another jeep to Don Ramos. Fare: PHP 8 (USD 0.15/SGD 0.21/MYR 0.61)
05:20 PM Ride a jeep to Batangas Grand Terminal. Fare: PHP 8 (USD 0.15/SGD 0.21/MYR 0.61)
05:40 PM. Take the bus back to Manila/Alabang/Cubao. Fare: PHP 157 (USD 3/ EURO 2.05/SGD 4/MYR 13)
08:40 PM ETA Manila/Alabang/Cubao.
LOBO BATANGAS TRIP BUDGET
Below is a sample Lobo, Batangas budget breakdown for a day tour. Food and hotel not included.
Roundtrip bus fare between Manila and Batangas Grand Terminal – PHP 314/USD 6/EURO 5/SGD 8/MYR 24
Roundtrip jeepney fare between Batangas Grand Terminal and Don Ramos – PHP 20/USD 0.39/EURO 0.32/SGD 0.52/MYR 2
Roundtrip jeepney fare between Don Ramos and Lobo Jeepney Terminal – PHP 16/USD 0.31/EURO 0.26/SGD 0.41/MYR 1.22
Roundtrip jeepney fare between Lobo and Batangas – PHP 110/USD 2/EURO 2/ SGD 3/MYR 9
Roundtrip tricycle fare between Lobo and Malabrigo – PHP 300/USD 6/EURO 5/SGD 8/MYR 23
Environmental Fee – PHP 20/USD 0.39/EURO 0.32/SGD 0.52/MYR 2
Total Expenses for Lobo, Batangas trip: PHP 780/USD 15.02/EURO/SGD 12.09/MYR 61.22
- This sample Lobo, Batangas budget is good for a solo traveler. If you have a travel buddy, divide the tricycle fare by 2.
LOBO, BATANGAS TRAVEL TIPS
- Some Malabrigo beach resorts are open for day tours.
- Don’t forget your sunblock and glasses as the sun can be pretty unforgiving.
- In the nearby village – Brgy. Sawang, there is a coral garden that is ideal for snorkeling.
- Both Globe and Smart/Suncellular are working in this area.
- Lobo, Batangas celebrates the town fiesta every May 8th.
- Last trip of jeepney from Lobo town to Batangas proper is at 5:00 PM. Last trip of bus from Batangas Grand Terminal to Manila is at 9:00 PM.
- If you want to avoid the crowd, avoid the holidays and weekends.
- Leave no trace, please. Don’t throw your trash anywhere, show some respect.
Check out my Batangas YOUTUBE video!
Don’t forget to click SUBSCRIBE below.
FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK FOR TRAVEL GUIDE UPDATES
About the Blogger : Gael is a Filipina travel blogger. Her work has appeared in local and international publications.
For advertisements, sponsorship and partnerships, you may reach her at gaelhilotinblog (at) gmail (dot) com.