Matabungkay Beach in Lian, Batangas wasn’t part of our trip itinerary. But when my sister and I boarded the wrong bus on our way to Manuel Uy Beach Resort and the Stilts Calatagan, we ended up riding a passenger van to Nasugbo, Batangas. The ride from Batangas Terminal took almost 3 hours, and the driver dropped us off at the intersection to Lian, Batangas. So when we took a jeepney ride to Calatagan, Batangas, we passed by the massive signboard that read “Matabungkay Beach”.
You see, though sometimes they say things happen for a reason, it can be frustrating to handle moments that you can no longer control. But I believe it’s in your moments of decision that your destiny is shaped. So when unexpected moments like this happen, I know I have to create something good out of that situation.
And that’s exactly why I went to Matabungkay Beach after our Calatagan Batangas beach getaway. My sister went home while I decided to stay in Batangas and explore other beaches nearby like the classic Matabungkay Beach in the town of Lian. Matabungkay Beach is like most typical beaches in this part of Batangas, commercialised, oozing with water sports activities and packed with cottages and resorts of all types. The sand is cream and powdery, and the shore is hugged by denim blue sea, which is ideal for swimming. During my visit, Matabungkay Beach was spotless, I guess the local government has worked on improving the beaches after reading bad reviews of tourists a few years ago. The beach is said to be scattered with trash back then, fortunately, today, it looks pretty clean. Me thinks it’s okay for family reunions because you will never run out of things to do in Matabungkay Beach. But the blaring karaoke, the persistent vendors (though I understand they’re just trying to make a living) and the tricycle drivers overcharging tourists in Matabungkay Beach can be discouraging. But then again, if you are looking for a quick beach getaway and you don’t really mind the crowd, you can consider a trip to Matabungkay Beach.
Here’s a quick Matabungkay Beach travel guide and list of Matabungkay Beach Resorts. Book ahead as the resorts can get fully booked during weekends and holidays.
HOW TO GET TO MATABUNGKAY BEACH FROM MANILA
- Take a bus bound for SM MOA/Pasay.
- Alight at MRT-EDSA Taft Station.
- From Manila near MRT-EDSA Taft Station, take a bus bound for Calatagan. Buses to Calatagan depart daily from 4:00 AM to 4:30 PM. Alternatively, there are also passenger vans to Calatagan, Batangas. The van terminal is located at the back of Metropoint Mall beside Kabayan Hotel. Bus/van fare is approximately PHP 180/USD 4. Transit time is around 3 hours.
- Get off at the intersection to Matabungkay Beach in Lian, Batangas.
- Ride or charter a tricycle to Matabungkay Beach.
- Go to MRT Pasay Taft/Pasay Rotonda. Ride the bus (DLTB or BSC) to Nasugbo Batangas. Fare is roughly PHP 155/USD 3. Travel time is about 3-4 hours.
- Alight at Lian Batangas Bus Terminal.
- Take a tricycle to Lian jeepney terminal.
- Ride the jeep to Calatagan, Batangas. Fare is around PHP 25/USD 0.48. Transit time is roughly 30 minutes.
- Alight at the intersection to Matabungkay Beach.
- Ride or rent a tricycle to Matabungkay Beach.
HOW TO GET TO MATABUNGKAY BEACH FROM CUBAO
- There are buses en route to Nasugbo, Batangas near EDSA/Cubao Station and Samson College.
- Ride the bus to Nasugbo, Batangas. Fare is around PHP 173/USD 3.31. Travel time is about 3-4 hours.
- Get off at Lian Bus Terminal in Batangas.
- Ride a tricycle to Lian Jeepney terminal.
- Take a jeepney to Calatagan. Fare is around PHP 25/USD 0.48. Transit time is approximately 30 minutes.
- Tell the driver to drop you off at the intersection to Matabungkay Beach.
- Ride a tricycle to Matabungkay Beach. Fare is around PHP 20/USD 0.38 each. You may also charter a tricycle.
HOW TO GET TO MATABUNGKAY BEACH FROM ALABANG
- At Metropolis Alabang (Starmall), ride a van to Nasugbo. Van fare is approximately PHP 180/USD 3.44. Transit time is about 3 hours.
- Alight at Lian and take a tricycle to Lian jeepney terminal.
- Board a jeep to Calatagan, Batangas.
- Tell the driver to drop you off at Matabungkay Beach intersection. Fare is around PHP 25/USD 0.48, travel time is roughly 30 minutes.
- Hire or ride a tricycle to take you to Matabungkay Beach.
WHERE TO STAY IN MATABUNGKAY BEACH
There’s a wealth of Matabungkay Beach resorts to choose from, but best to book ahead as the good resorts can get fully booked on weekends and holidays. Here’s some of the resorts in Matabungkay Beach:
MATABUNGKAY BEACH RESORTS
MATABUNGKAY BEACH BATANGAS TRAVEL TIPS
- There is a PHP 30/USD 0.57 environmental fee that you need to pay at the tourism centre.
- Going back to Manila, you can just hail a bus at the intersection on the highway. If you want to go to the bus terminal, it’s in Lian town proper, about 25 minutes away from Matabungkay Beach. Tricycles can take you there for about PHP 300/USD 6 (chartered). A cheaper way is to hail a jeepney to Lian at the highway, fare is about PHP 25/USD 0.48and from there, go to Lian Bus Terminal.
WATCH MY LATEST VIDEO
FOLLOW ME ON FACEBOOK FOR TRAVEL GUIDE UPDATES
About the Blogger : Gael is a Filipina travel blogger. Her work has appeared in local and international publications.
For advertisements, sponsorship and partnerships, you may reach her at gaelhilotinblog (at) gmail (dot) com.