Candijay Bohol is a rising tourist destination in the Philippines. Its sheer isolation and dramatic scenery beckons every artistic soul to immortalize its beauty in pixels. Candijay, Bohol could definitely make it to the list of Instagrammable spots in the Philippines.
What makes Candijay Bohol special are the rice terraces sprinkled around the village of Cadapdapan and the towering Can-umantad Falls, reputed to be the highest waterfall in Bohol. These natural tourist attractions make up for the lack of pockets of white sands and heavenly turquoise waters in Candijay, Bohol. Take note tough that there are not a lot of tourist activities here, rather you go here to explore and relax and to adapt to the slow rhythm of rural life.
To help you plan your trip to Candijay, Bohol here’s a travel guide with sample Candijay Bohol itinerary and budget breakdown.
TRAVEL BLOG CONTENTS
CANDIJAY, BOHOL TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
If you plan to travel to Candijay, or Bohol province, here’s the updated Bohol travel requirements for 2022.
FULLY VACCINATED TOURISTS TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS FOR BOHOL
1.VACCINATION CERTIFICATE. Fully vaccinated individuals entering Bohol must present a Vaccination Certificate generated upon visiting the DOH website: vaxcert.doh,gov.ph The vaccination certificate must be duly authenticated and validated by the Bureau of the DOH-Quarantine and must be incorporated with the S-Pass.
2.Approved S-PASS QR CODE (Travel Coordination Permit). Register at s-pass.ph and submit the travel requirements. Once approved, you should get an S-Pass QR Code that you can print or download. The S-Pass Travel Coordination Permit /S-Pass QR Code must be presented upon arrival in Bohol. See instruction below on how to get the Bohol Travel Coordination Permit.
HOW TO GET TO CANDIJAY BOHOL
MANILA TO CANDIJAY, BOHOL
PANGLAO TO CANDIJAY, BOHOL
1.If you’re coming from Manila, you can fly directly to Panglao, Bohol. Several airlines have daily flights from Manila to Bohol. You can check out the flight schedule and book through the link below.
- MANILA TO BOHOL FLIGHTS: SEARCH HERE
2.From Panglao International Airport, you can ride van or bus to Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal. Travel time is roughly 2 hours. Bus fare is roughly ₱70 ($1.38) – ₱200 ($4). The Southern Star Bus is available from 6:00 AM to 4:00 PM. Tell the driver you are getting off at Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal, which is near Dao Terminal.
- PANGLAO TO TAGBILARAN BUS: RESERVE HERE
Alternatively, you can take the passenger van, you can book through the links below. You can opt for a shared van or a private car/van, good for 3-10 pax, depending on the type of vehicle.
3.At Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal, you can ride the bus or van to Ubay, Bohol or Anda, Bohol. Tell the driver you are going to Candijay, Bohol. One-way bus fare is roughly ₱80 ($1.58), while the van fare is approximately ₱130 ($2.57) per person.
4.If taking the bus or van to Ubay, tell the driver you will get off at Lungsod Daan Public Market.
5.At Lungsod Daan Public Market, hire a habal-habal (motorcycle) to the major Candijay tourist attractions, such as, Cadapdapan Rice Terraces (Candijay Rice Terraces) and Can-umantad Falls (Candijay Waterfalls). Roundtrip fare is approximately ₱200 ($4), may include waiting time.
6.Visit the Cadapdapan Rice Terraces (Candijay Rice Terraces), this is first tourist attraction that you will see in the village. Get off the habal-habal (motorcycle) to explore the area and take photos.
7. From Cadapdapan Rice Terraces, hop on the habal-habal to Can-umantad Falls (Candijay Waterfalls) parking lot in Candijay Bohol. Transit time is about 20 minutes. Alternatively, you can take an easy trek for approximately 15 minutes from Cadapdapan Rice Terraces to Can-umantad Waterfalls, or vice versa. There’s about 80 plus steps going down the falls through a private entrance.
If you take a habal-habal to Can-umantad Falls (Candijay Waterfalls) and enter via the public entrance, a young guide will assist you to the waterfall (he/she is wearing an ID). There’s no standard guide fee, but tipping is recommended. I gave our guide ₱100 ($2), since it was just a short and easy trek. Additional fee applies if you want to visit the Candijay Mangrove Forest.
CEBU TO CANDIJAY BOHOL
There are 2 ferry routes of ferry and fast craft from Cebu City to Bohol. Fastcat depart from Cebu City Pier 3 to Tubigon, Bohol. Travel time is about 1.5 hours. Meanwhile, Oceanjet and Oceanfast both depart from Cebu City Pier 1 to Tagbilaran Port in Bohol. Travel time is approximately 2 hours.
Tagbilaran to Candijay, Bohol
There are ferries and fastcraft from Cebu City to Tagbilaran Bohol. Oceanjet, Oceanfast, and Weesam, all depart from Cebu City Pier 1 to Tagbilaran, Bohol. If you are coming from Tagbilaran, Bohol to Candijay, Bohol, here’s the route that you can take. But take note that these Fastcraft are for passengers only, no freight, so, you can’t take your car , motorcycle or any other vehicle with you.
1.Ride a fast craft/ferry to Tagbilaran, Bohol at Pier 1 in Cebu City. Ferry fare starts at ₱275 ($5) for Economy seats, ₱310 ($6) for Premium seats, and ₱345 ($7) for Business class. If you book online, there’s a minimal service fee that will be added to the ferry fare. You can check out the Cebu-Bohol ferry schedule and book your seat in advance through the link below.
2. At Tagbilaran Port, hope on a tricycle to take you to Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal.
3. At Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal, catch a bus or van to Ubay, Bohol. Tell the driver you are getting at Lungsod-Daan Public Market. One way bus fare is around ₱80 ($1.60) per person while van fare is approximately ₱130 ($3) per person.
4. Get off at Lungsod Daan, Public Market.
5. Charter a habal-habal (motorbike) to take you to Candijay tourist spots like Cadapdapan Rice Terraces (Candijay Rice Terraces) and Can-umantad Falls (Candijay Waterfalls) and Canawa Cold Spring. The first tourist attraction that you will see is (Cadapdapan Rice Terraces) Candijay Rice Terraces, next is the Can-umantad Waterfalls, and then Canawa Cold Spring. Additional fee applies if you want to visit the Candijay Mangrove Forest.
TUBIGON TO CANDIJAY BOHOL
You may think is the better option when coming from Cebu since the travel time to Tubigon, Bohol is only 1.5 hours, but take note you have to change bus twice and since there’s no available information regarding the bus schedule from Tubigon to Carmen and Carmen to Ubay. So, taking the bus from Tubigon may take longer than expected as you have to wait for the next bus to arrive.
What’s good about taking the Fastcat though, is, because it’s a ferry, you can take your private vehicle with you and just pay the necessary freight fees. But if you have no car, motorcycle or vehicle with you, I’d go with the Cebu City to Tagbilaran route to Candijay.
1.From Cebu City Pier 3, take the Fastcat ferry to Tubigon. Travel time is roughly 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Fastcat fare (full fare) from Cebu to Tubigon, Bohol and vice versa is ₱275 ($5.43) for Economy seats, ₱310 ($6) for Premium Economy, and ₱345 ($7) for Business Class. You can check the Fastcat ferry schedule and book a seat through the link below.
- CEBU TO TUBIGON FERRY/FASTCRAFT: BOOK HERE
2. At Tubigon, ride a bus to Carmen, Bohol. Travel time is about 1 hour and 11 minutes.
3. At Carmen, hop on a bus to Ubay and ask the driver to drop you off at the Lungsod-Daan Public Market. Travel time is approximately 1 hour and bus fare is more or less ₱130 ($2.57).
4. At Lungsod-Daan Public Market, hire a habal-habal (motorcycle) to take you to Candijay Waterfalls, Candijay Rice Terraces and Canawa Cold Spring. Fare is roughly ₱200 ($4), may include waiting time. Entrance fee to Cadapdapan Rice Terraces is about ₱20 ($0.39), Candijay Waterfalls has free entrance but you may pay for a guide, and Canawa Cold Spring entrance fee is ₱20 ($0.39).
ANDA TO CANDIJAY, BOHOL
If you’re already in Anda, Bohol, you may also visit Candijay, Bohol, about 44 minutes away. Here’s how:
1.From Anda, take a multicab to the highway. Fare is about ₱20 ($0.39).
2.Ride a bus to Tagbilaran, Bohol, that will pass by Candijay.
3.Alight at Lungsod Daan Crossing or at Lungsod Public Market.
4.Hire a habal-habal (motorbike) to take you to Candijay Rice Terraces, Candijay Waterfalls, and Canawa Cold Spring. Additional fee may apply if you want to visit the Candijay Mangrove Forest.
Argao Cebu to Candijay, Bohol
We took this route since we were coming from South Cebu. We took a large ferry that can carry vehicles.
1. If you are coming from South Cebu like Oslob, Moalboal, Osmena Peak, etc., you can take a ferry at Argao Port to Tagbilaran, Bohol. Fare is around ₱200 ($4) for adults, ₱143 ($3)for seniors, and ₱100 ($2)for kids.
2. At Tagbilaran Port, take a tricycle to Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal.
3. At Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal, catch a bus or van to Ubay, Bohol. One way bus fare is around ₱80 ($1.60)per person while van fare is around ₱130 ($2.60).
4. Alight at Lungsod Daan, Public Market.
5. Hire a habal-habal (motorbike) to take you to Candijay tourist spots like Cadapdapan Rice Terraces (Candijay Rice Terraces), Canumantad waterfalls (Candijay Falls), and Canawa Cold Spring.
DUMAGUETE TO CANDIJAY, BOHOL
1. From Dumaguete Port (Negros Oriental) take the fast craft to Tagbilaran Fast craft Terminal in Bohol. Travel time is around 2 hours.
2. At Tagbilaran Port, hire a tricycle to Tagbilaran Integrated Terminal.
3. At Tagbilaran Integrated Terminal, take a bus or van to Ubay, Bohol. One way bus fare is around ₱80 ($1.60) per person while van fare is around ₱130 ($2.60).
4. Disembark at Lungsod Daan, Public Market.
5. Hire a habal-habal (motorbike) to take you to Candijay tourist spots like Cadapdapan Rice Terraces (Candijay Rice Terraces), Can-umantad waterfalls (Candijay Falls), and Canawa Cold Spring.
GETTING AROUND CANDIJAY
The best way to get around Candijay is by habal-habal (motorbike). You can hire a motorcycle to tour Candijay Bohol tourist attractions such as Can-umantad Falls, Cadapdapan Rice Terraces and Cadapdapan Spring for around ₱200 ($4) per person.
WHERE TO STAY IN CANDIJAY, BOHOL
Since Candijay, Bohol is a fairly new tourist destination, there’s only a handful of hotel/accommodation here. If you want to stay overnight and soak up the atmosphere in Candijay Bohol, you can book a homestay.
TOP TOURIST ATTRACTIONS IN CANDIJAY BOHOL
CADAPDAPAN RICE TERRACES
Entrance Fee: ₱200 ($4)
Parking Fee: Motorbike – ₱10 ($0.20)
Car – ₱20 ($0.39)
Open Hours: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
A rising tourist attraction in the province of Bohol are the rice terraces of Candijay. Once you enter Brgy. Cadapdapan, you will be welcomed by a sea of green rice fields and rice terraces. There’s no written history as to when the rice terraces here were formed, but locals say that they were built by their ancestors for a long period of time. The most scenic of the rice terraces in Candijay is the Cadapdapan Rice Terraces owned by Eleuterio’s Can-Umantad Falls and Rice Terraces Resort Inc. This palm-fringed rice terraces is irrigated by Cadapdapan River that flows into the towering Can-umantad Falls.
Entrance Fee: Free via Public Entrance (Tour guides are available.)
Open Hours: 7:00 AM – 5:00 PM
At 60 feet, Can-umantad falls is said to be the tallest waterfall in Bohol province. You can reach Can-umantad Falls via Cadapdapan Rice Terraces by trekking down a 500 step stairs that leads to the towering waterfalls. This route though is not for the faint-hearted, so if you want an easier way to get there, just hire a habal-habal (motorbike) to take you to the public entrance that was recently developed by the Local Government Unit (LGU). There’s no entrance fee if you pass through this path, you just need to sign in the logbook. But there are local guides that will volunteer to guide you. There’s no standard guide fee, but tipping is recommended. Be careful as there are slippery areas, especially during rainy season. There’s a deeper basin with emerald water just before the main waterfall in Can-umantad where you can swim. The main catch basin just below Can-umantad Falls is quite shallow, but most tourists prefer to take a dip here.
CANAWA COLD SPRING
Entrance Fee: CANAWA COLD SPRING
Entrance Fee: PHP 20 ($0.39)
Derived from the local word “kawa” (cauldron), Canawa Cold Spring is a popular spring in Candijay turned into a swimming pool. It is known for its tempting cobalt water fringed by gigantic trees. The Canawa Cold Spring is so deep, reportedly all attempts to measure its depth have all failed so far.
CANDIJAY MANGROVE FOREST
Entrance Fee: FREE
Not a lot of tourists traveling to Candijay know that there’s a hidden mangrove forest in the village. Since we still have an hour to spare, we decided to pay a visit. Unfortunately, it was already late, so we couldn’t go on mangrove tour by boat. But there is a floating restaurant at the small wharf here, where you can enjoy delicious grilled seafood and other local dishes.
CANDIJAY SIDE TRIPS
1.ANDA, BOHOL TOUR
While you are in Candijay, Bohol, best to make a sidetrip to Anda, Bohol, which is about 44 minutes away. For a detailed travel guide and itinerary of Anda, you can check out my travel blog below.
RELATED TRAVEL BLOG:
ANDA BOHOL TRAVEL GUIDE + BUDGET ITINERARY
2.BOHOL COUNTRYSIDE TOUR
This tour includes the top Bohol attractions such as the Chocolate Hills, the Blood Compact Shrine, Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary, Bilar Manmade Forest and you’ll also get to enjoy a local buffet lunch while cruising the Loboc River via a floating restaurant.
BOHOL COUNTRYSIDE TOUR: RESERVE HERE
3.BOHOL ISLAND HOPPING
Swim and snorkel in Balicasag Island and go dolphin watching. Visit the stunning Virgin Island, a sandbar that is exposed during low tide.
- PANGLAO ISLAND HOPPING: BOOK HERE
CANDIJAY BOHOL ITINERARY + BUDGET/EXPENSES
Candijay can be explored in 1 day but if you wish stay here overnight, you can do so. Here’s a sample day tour itinerary of Candijay Bohol with possible trip budget/expenses good for a solo traveler or 1 person.
|DAY 1||CANDIJAY, BOHOL|
|06:00 AM||Bus or van to Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal.|
|Panglao to Tagbilaran Bus: RESERVE HERE|
|Panglao to Tagbilaran Van (Shared): BOOK HERE|
|Panglao to Tagbilaran Car (Private): BOOK HERE|
|08:00 AM||ETA Tagbilaran Integrated Bus Terminal|
|08:30 AM||Bus ₱80 ($1.60) or van ₱130 ($2.60) to Ubay or Anda, Bohol.|
|10:30 AM||Get off at Lungsod Daan Public Market.|
|Early lunch. ₱100 ($2)|
|11:30 AM||Hire habal-habal (motorcycle) to Candijay tourist spots. ₱200 ($4)|
|Cadapdapan Rice Terraces ₱20 ($0.39)|
|Can-umantad Falls FREE entrance + ₱100 ($2) guide fee|
|Canawa Cold Spring ₱20 ($0.39)|
|03:00 PM||End of Candijay Tour. Return to Lungsod Daan Public Market.|
|You may also visit Candijay Magrove Forest, but additional habal-habal fare may apply.|
|Catch a bus to Anda or Tagbilaran Bohol. ₱130 ($2.60)|
|TOTAL EXPENSES||₱700 – $14 ( €12, SGD 19, RM 57, KRW 16,097|
*Airfare from Manila to Bohol or ferry fare from Cebu to Bohol, hotel, drinks, souvenirs not include in the sample Candijay trip budget/expenses above.
CANDIJAY BOHOL TRAVEL TIPS
- You can bring your car, but you will still be asked to rent a habal-habal (motorbike) for touring Candijay Bohol tourist attractions. Unless your vehicle is a 4×4.
- It’s important to have internet connection while traveling in San Vicente and the rest of Palawan. Not all accommodations here have Wi-Fi, so, best to have your own internet data or rent a pocket Wi-Fi through the link below.
TRAVEL WIFI: RESERVE HERE
- Drone is allowed in Candijay, Bohol. Please avoid lying it in crowded places to avoid untoward incidents.
- Those who choose to travel are strongly advised to check the local government’s restrictions and health protocols regarding Covid-19. Please consider your health condition before traveling.
- The information above may change without prior notice, please double check with the respective LGU.